Notes & Quotes: Edmonton Indy at Edmonton City Centre Airport
• Mike Conway on racing in Edmonton: “The new track isn’t quite as good as the old one but last year we had a good race there. We came from the back and finished eighth. Edmonton is pretty bumpy. The new part of it—the first four or five corners--are new tarmac, so that’s pretty smooth. The rest of it gets back to the old bumpy track, so it’s really two disciplines you’ve got to work on. The last corner is a really tight hairpin so you brake as late as you can and get out as quick as you can. The first corner’s a massive braking zone where you can find time and the third corner is another really tight hairpin--you’ve got to have a car that stops well and turns well over the bumps.”
• Conway on best place to pass: “Last corner, first corner, Turn 3, all the hairpins basically-- you have a good chance of passing people because you’ve got long straights in between. There’s also that corner in the middle where I was passing a lot of cars last year so it just depends on where you’re able to be quicker than the other cars.”
• A.J. Foyt becomes a great-grandfather—again! Foyt’s grandson A.J. IV and his wife Casey welcomed their second son Lockey James Foyt, born at 1:21p.m. on Monday, July 16 in Indianapolis. Weighing 7 lbs, 15 oz and measuring 20 in., Lockey is the couple’s second child—A.J. V was born nearly two years ago on Sept. 18, 2010. Lockey James is named after A.J. Foyt’s great uncle Lockey Foyt and Casey’s father Jim Irsay, owner of the Indianapolis Colts. Lockey is the sixth great-grandchild for Foyt.
• Conway on spending time in United Kingdom: “It should be cool, I’m looking forward to seeing my family and catching up with friends. I’ll be training every day on the mountain bike doing all the routes that I do when I’m home so that’ll be fun—that is, if the weather’s good. If it isn’t I’ll do all gym-based stuff. All of the fun stuff will be catching up with friends—dinners and lunches and trying to cram in as much as I can.” Conway flew to his home in Kent, England after Toronto and is flying directly to Edmonton from London.
• Past performance in Edmonton: Conway’s best start in Edmonton was 11th in 2009—the first year he ran there. His best finish—eighth--came last year after starting 20th. The Foyt team’s best finish of 10th came in 2008 with Darren Manning; Vitor Meira gave them their best start of 14th last year.
• The Edmonton Indy will be shown live at 2:00 p.m. ET Sunday, July 22 on NBC Sports Network.