Notes & Quotes: Iowa Corn Indy 250 at Iowa Speedway
• Mike Conway on racing at Iowa Speedway: “We recently tested at Iowa so we know what to expect going back there apart from one big change. That is going to be the reduced down force that we didn’t try but know should be ok. In the past this track has been a lot of fun, it’s a small 7/8 mile oval which when you look at it does look very small but it’s amazing how much grip it has with our cars. You can pass here if you have a good car like anywhere so we will be working hard on that in practice to get it right for the race as we have more than one [race] this time round.”
• Conway on the heat race qualifying format: “It’s going to be different for the qualifying races that’s for sure; in 30 laps the tires wont degrade that much, so it’s going to be a flat out sprint race!
• Past performance at Iowa Speedway: Conway’s best start is 9th (2011) and his best finish is 8th (2009); the Foyt team’s best start is 13th (2010 with Vitor Meira) and their best finish is 5th (2007 with Darren Manning).
• Conway plus A.J. and Larry Foyt will attend the ABC Supply Founders Day Celebration at the Company’s headquarters in Beloit, WI this Thursday evening. From there they will fly on to Des Moines
.• ABC Supply roofing customer, West Branch Roofing, located in West Branch, IA, won the ‘Your Name Here’ contest for the Iowa Corn Indy 250 at Iowa Speedway. The company name will be atop the sidepods of the No. 14 ABC Supply Dallara/Honda. Guests will receive selected merchandise, race tickets, hospitality and garage passes, plus a Meet and Greet with A.J. Foyt and Mike Conway.
• Jon Wolfkill will be the ABC Supply Honorary Crew Member of the race this weekend. Wolfkill works as a driver/operator in the Des Moines branch. Wolfkill, 39, lives in Des Moines with his wife Angie and their three children: Brandon, Abigail and Baili.
• ABC Supply will entertain nearly 400 guests at Saturday’s race. Prior to 2012, the company had entertained over 35,000 guests at IndyCar races since it began sponsoring A.J. Foyt’s team in 2005.
• The Iowa Corn Indy 250 will be shown live at 9 p.m. ET Saturday, June 23 on the NBC Sports Network. The heat races will be televised earlier, immediately following “IndyCar 36” (on driver Charlie Kimball) which starts at 7:30 p.m. Saturday evening.