Notes & Quotes: Chevrolet Indy Dual in Detroit
• Takuma Sato on returning to a street course: “Having had a couple of weeks of oval days now it is actually quite refreshing to be back on the streets but then a speedway and a variety of short ovals are waiting for us so it is going to be another busy month ahead.”
• Sato on Detroit’s dual duels: “I've experienced doubleheader races in my British F3 days. As usual, we must train hard, eat, sleep and have a good rest! It is true that the Detroit is one of the most physical street courses in the series so having a doubleheader there will be challenging.”
• Sato on key to success at Detroit: “Driving on the good part of pavement! No, it should be no problem this year. The circuit is quite tricky as it is very bumpy track with relatively high grip surface. Although I didn't have a good race last year for my first visit to Belle Isle, I like this challenging fast track.”
• Sato on what he learned from his Indy 500 experience: “Yes, we are always learning. After having the first oval race for DW12 last year at Indy, the team and I wanted to try new setups this year and we made some good progress during the month. It was good to see the performance was improved but then we needed to address few other new things. The way race went was different from last year's and the field was much tighter. We did have a quite bit of balance change stint by stint and that was very challenging. It was a great race, but we weren't able to manage some areas as well as we wanted but going through that was a good experience for us as a group. It will only make us stronger. The result was a bit disappointing but the Indy 500 is still such a great, exciting race that I already can't wait to come back here next time!”
• Sato is now 2nd in Izod IndyCar standings, 11 points behind Marco Andretti. Sato has finished every race this season: 8th in St. Petersburg, 14th in Alabama, 1st in Long Beach, 2nd in Sao Paulo and 13th in Indy.
• Past performance in Detroit: In the first IndyCar Series race at Belle Isle in 2007, Darren Manning started eighth and finished fourth in the No. 14, tying his best finish of his career to that point. In the following year, Manning started 15th and finished 12th. Last year, Mike Conway started 15th and finished 9th; Sato started 11th and finished 20th after making contact with a barrier when the track surface broke up.
• ABC Supply national account Infinity, a national roofing company located in Houston, will be featured on the engine cover of the No. 14 ABC Supply car during the Indy Dual in Detroit. Guests will receive the VIP treatment this weekend along with a Meet and Greet with Takuma Sato and A.J. Foyt.
• ABC Supply customer, Performance Fiberglass, located in Shelby, Mich., won the ‘Your Name Here’ contest for the Indy Dual in Detroit. The company name will be atop the sidepods of the No. 14 ABC Supply Dallara/Honda. Guests will receive selected merchandise, race tickets, hospitality and garage passes, plus a Meet and Greet with Takuma Sato and A.J. Foyt.
• The dual races will be televised live by ABC Sports on both Saturday and Sunday starting at 3:30 p.m. ET